They’re a lot of fun to watch, but bearded dragons also can be destructive. So are you prepared for the potential damage when it comes to your stuff? Read on to learn if a bearded dragon damages furniture, including how to protect your furniture, carpeting, and more.
Yes! Bearded Dragons Damage Furniture
The short answer is yes, bearded dragons damage furniture are LESS likely to damage your furniture than a cat or dog. They are less destructive because they aren’t as interested in chewing up everything. You may not notice any damage at all.
Carpet and other things
Some bearded dragons damage carpets. Their claws get caught on the carpet as they run and walk around the house. This roaming cause rips in the carpet. They are not doing it on purpose. A way to keep this from happening is to let them loose in rooms with tile or hardwood floors.
Others eat all the plants in the house. Make sure your bearded dragon is not hungry before letting them roam free. They will also eat native bugs in the home, which can be dangerous because of pesticides. Always keep a close watch of your beardie when they are out.
7 Tips To Prevent Your Bearded Dragon from Damaging your House
Yet, there are things you can do to prevent your bearded dragon from damaging your furniture.
- Cover hard surface materials with fabric.
- Make a particular area for your bearded dragon to feel safe and not want to climb on your furniture.
- It is essential to know that bearded dragons like to climb and explore. That means your bearded dragon will try to climb on furniture.
- The best way to avoid this behavior from your bearded dragon is to provide him with plenty of space to roam and climb on his own. The problem is that they will attempt to climb on anything they can get their hands or claws on. You provide your bearded dragon with plenty of branches and other climbing apparatuses.
- Do not leave the dragon alone in a room with your furniture.
- They could urinate on it, and if you come back too late, you’ll have a bigger problem on your hands. If you’re going out for more than an hour, take the bearded dragon with you in their carrier.
- Bearded dragons are nocturnal, so that they can become quite active at night. Your best bet is to play with your pet during the day when you have time to supervise. At night, it’s best to put your pet in a separate room or enclosure where they cannot cause any damage.
Will a bearded dragon damage furniture? Yes! but if you follow the tips above you can keep your bearded dragon and furniture safe.